PANAMA CITY-BAY COUNTY AIRPORT AND INDUSTRIAL DISTRICT
NORTHWEST FLORIDA BEACHES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
CLASSIFICATION: Assistant Maintenance Manager
SUPERVISOR: Maintenance Manager
EFFECTIVE DATE: October 1, 2020
PAY LEVEL: 180 ($48,412.94 — $75,040.04)
PAY CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
DEFINITION: This position is responsible for grounds maintenance of the Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Maintenance Manager. Performs related duties as required.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES: The responsibilities include, but are not limited to, implementation and compliance with the Airport Turf Maintenance and Management Program to include irrigation systems, pesticide applications and related recordings, compliance of regulatory issues and operation and maintenance of the Stormwater Operations and Maintenance Program and its components.
- Responsible for the implementation and all phases of the Turf Maintenance and Management Program.
- Responsible for the implementation and all phases of the Stormwater Operations and Maintenance Program.
- Works closely with and coordinates with the Maintenance Manager on any issues related to airport maintenance.
- Directs and participates in the construction and maintenance of the grounds and other maintenance issues.
- Design and implementation of landscape plans for facility grounds.
- Administers and enforces all rules, regulations and policies for maintenance staff.
- Work closely with the Maintenance Manger and others to operate the Airport and the Maintenance Department in a fiscally responsible and professional manner.
- Must be able to work independently and be a self starter and problem solver.
- Oversee the maintenance and care of the turf, ornamental plants, shrubs, trees and wetlands on the facility grounds.
- Direct and assist staff on planting new vegetation, replacement spraying, pruning and trimming of trees, shrubs, turf, as well as preparation of soil plant beds for aesthetically pleasing arrangements and tending to high stress areas.
- Ensures compliance with FAA, FDEP, USACE and other agency’s rules, directives, advisory circulars or controlling documentation related to grounds maintenance.
- Provides detailed annual plan for designated landscaping areas, ensuring stabilization of all airport grounds.
- Manages water usage tracking plan and irrigation systems and programs, provides monthly reporting on retaining ponds, wells and/or other water source usage.
- Performs operation and maintenance of the stormwater system ensuring regulatory compliance to prevent downstream water quality impacts.
- Maintain the stormwater system to include inspections, repairs, anticipated problems, and takes corrective action to ensure compliance.
- Implement preventative maintenance schedule for the various components of the stormwater system; including, but not limited to, retention ditches and ponds, detention ditches and ponds, various conveyance ditches and piping and other critical components of the system.
- Prepares daily work schedules and assigns tasks to appropriate individuals, crews or combination of crews, and coordinates completion of same.
- Coordinates maintenance and construction activities with Maintenance Manager to assure continual smooth operation.
- Provides technical, operational and safety training for employees to ensure that staff is working within OSHA, local, state and federal guidelines for safe working conditions.
- Oversees subordinates in proper and safe operation and maintenance of mechanical and power equipment. Plans and budgets for additional or replacement capital equipment.
- Supervises and participates in the application and recording of chemical applications (fertilizers and pesticides) on the airport in compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations.
- Assists in the development of the annual operating budget and plans for maintenance and capital improvement projects.
- Maintains records and completes required reporting. Orders parts, supplies and equipment as needed.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of management and maintenance of large areas of turf and other grounds and landscaping areas.
- Knowledge of use and operating standards of equipment and tools used in grounds construction and maintenance work.
- Interpersonal skills to resolve conflict and work with supervisors, officials, employees, and the general public.
- Knowledge of safe use, mixing and application of chemicals and commercial products.
- Ability to anticipate personnel, equipment, and material requirements related to grounds and airport maintenance and repair assignments.
- Ability and knowledge to lay out irrigation patterns, drainage patterns, construct irrigation and watering systems.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma.
- Employee must be physically fit and be certified as drug free.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
- Must possess a valid Florida driver’s license.
- Two to five years experience in airport and/or ground maintenance.
- Two year degree or certificate in Turf Management (or related field, such as agronomy, horticulture, plant science, soil science).
- Understanding of stormwater system requirements, inspections and compliance needs.
- Advance computer skills required for financial reporting and control of operations, including use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Pesticide Application License, both land and aquatic, or ability to obtain within 45 days.
MISCELLANEOUS REQUIREMENTS: Must pass pre-employment drug testing as well as periodic testing in accordance with airport policy; must pass a 10-year, fingerprint-based, criminal history records check as required by the Transportation Security Administration.